Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Questions thread
rnclark Senior Member • Posts: 3,755
Re: If you want the best, a dedicated cooled CCD cameras are far better than all the DSLRs and ILCs

swimswithtrout wrote:

JimH123 wrote:

I have used many cameras for night sky imaging, but once I got a dedicated CCD camera, my opinions have changed. They are available in color or mono (I have both) and with the cooling, noise is greatly controled.

As an example using a mono Atik 460ex, here is one example of m27, the Dumbbell Nebula. This consists of 10 images stacked of 40 sec each taken with an Explore Scientific 102ed, a 4" objective with a focal length of 714mm. A camera like this far exceeds what any DSLR can do.

I totally agree !!!

But the OP and most everyone else here can't accept that fact.

Really?  Compare the image below.  Cooled CCD with 6 times more exposure (400 seconds), versus a single 60-second exposure with a stock DSLR uncooled.

The stock DSLR is already showing fainter detail with only 1/6 theexposure time.  The point, however, is to not start a DSLR vs cooled CCD war.  Both have their strengths.  In short exposures, like in nightscapes, dark current isn't an issue except in extremely hot environments.  If one wants to do RGB color imaging, then there is little difference because the mono CCD must time multiplex filters whereas the digital camera does spatial multiplexed images.  Neither images all colors all the time at every pixel.  The mono ccd or cmos works better for very broad band black and white, or narrow band filters, but at the expense of much added complexity.  The digital camera does well at RGB color imaging and with the best sensors, cooling for reduce noise from dark current is less of an issue.  It would be difficult to do nightscapes with a mono ccd and color filters as things are moving, sky relative to land.  And more research is going into cmos, so the future will more likely be mono cmos versus digital camera, and cooling may not be needed.

Roger

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow