Any tips for a novice shooting a family of four (tall boy, short boy) and a dog?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brian D3300 Senior Member • Posts: 1,427
Any tips for a novice shooting a family of four (tall boy, short boy) and a dog?

I have a softbox, couple of umbrella's and two speed lights.  Do I just place a light source on each side  and angle inwards at a 45 degree (10 and 2 O'clock if possible)?

I may try some natural light shots outside if I get enough light as well before sunset hits.  I can only make it by about 4:15pm and Sunset is 5pm so I will be crunch for time with natural light.

Using a D600 with 85mm 1.8g and maybe the 50mm 1.8g if space is too tight.

I was thinking of starting around 1/200 at F4 or so or higher if they go two rows with ISO set to auto if with natural light.  With the soft box/umbrella's I'd probably  lock the ISO and adjust the speed lights.

Brian D3300's gear list:Brian D3300's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +2 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow