11/20/17: Green Cay Birds Close & Far (FE100-400)

Started 11 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 30,094
11/20/17: Green Cay Birds Close & Far (FE100-400)

This post has mostly birds - the winter action is picking up, fall migration is starting to fade (as the migrating birds that head to the Caribbean and South America have mostly fed and left) but those birds that stay here for the winter are still streaming in. Weather is still hot, so there hasn't yet been a good push for wintering ducks this far south, and nesting season is just about to start so the birds haven't yet started to fill the trees with their nests and mating calls.

The following shots were taken around Green Cay Wetlands with the A6300 and F 100-400mm GM lens over two consecutive weekends, on November 5th and 11th. Some of the latter day shots are with the 1.4x TC, which I've noted in the descriptions as usual.

All shots posted at 1400 pixels on the long end if you click the originals. I've got two BIFs in this set - the next post will be nearly all BIFs:

A little black-and-white warbler, sitting perfectly aligned with a small patch of blue sky cutting through the leaf canopy

An anhinga, proudly doing what anhingas do much of the day - drying off his wings after a swim

Very far away - mega crop - this red-shouldered hawk was sitting in a tree about 150 feet out, and I had to crop about 80% as I didn't have the TC with me on this round...still, detail was good enough to see his pattern, and his telltale 'red' shoulder

Tricolor heron hunting under an overhanging pond apple tree - they know the fish like to stay in the shadows!

A cormorant making a banking turn while flying past me, showing his underbody

A few weeks ago I shared some of my first decently close shots of a sitting hummingbird, which are very elusive in the wild here - but just a few weeks later, I ran into them again, in the same spot! This is a female sitting quietly

Then, she actually moved closer, and perched not 15 feet from me!

This young little blue heron didn't quite have the fishing routine down yet - he would stand a few feet back, see a fish, then squawk loudly, splash as he jumped into the air, then jump down nearly on top of the fish, still yelling, and try to stab at it - the fish of course heard all this coming and long since fled the area!

The first-of-season pine warblers, just arrived, and located where else - in a pine tree! (1.4xTC)

This red-bellied woodpecker, showing off a bit of the red color on its bottom that lends the name. It found this small branch perch to be easier to survey where to drill next, rather than clinging to the side of the trunk as they usually do (1.4x TC)

A yellow-rumped warbler, looking about as curious about me as I was of it (1.4x TC)

Really close up with a tricolor heron as it looks down on the reflective water - it had strong back and top light, which I thought gave a nice and interesting glow to the bill (1.4x TC)

Worst conditions for a shot - long distance, mostly white cloudy sky, overcast light, side and back light. But this kingfisher atop a dead snag had interesting details as it was still wet from a recent dive...the effect is almost B&W - but it's not - this is all the color that was in the scene (1.4x TC)

A young alligator, hiding in the dead leaves and marshy ground (1.4x TC)

A double-crested cormorant coming in to land with strong backlight (1.4x TC)

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow