16-35 ZA vs GM for environmenal portraits?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
SeanHew Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: 16-35 ZA vs GM for environmenal portraits?

Grenn1e wrote:

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm still a bit unsure. Part of me shouts to just buy the ZA f/4 and 35/1,4 which together costs about the same as the GM alone. But then I'd give up the f/2.8 in a one lens solution (and would probably need to keep the Samyang 14/2.8 for astro). I like to travel light but don't feel like 150 grams would do a big difference between the two.

Of course there are different kinds of environmental portraits but I do also like to shoot them with large apertures often. Even blurred (more or less) the background can help to tell the story behind the person. Sometimes I stop down to f/5.6-f/8, but I know both of them are fine at those settings.. What I don't know is how different they draw at f/2.8 vs f/4.

-- hide signature --

www.facebook.com/Nestography

I mainly shoot Landscapes, Astro, Environmental Portraits and General Travel. The solution that I came up with was to use the 16-35mm f2.8 for Landscapes, Astro and general travel and 85mm f1.8 for portraits and general travel.

SeanHew's gear list:SeanHew's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow