16-35 ZA vs GM for environmenal portraits?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
sullivanrp New Member • Posts: 17
Different Uses

I think the 16-35 2.8 does allow some convenience to carry less, if that really is your goal. You specified walking around cities - and the ultrawide will allow for architectural captures, and tight quartered photos, while the 35mm end of the lens is a very preferred FL for street photography. Paired with 2.8 for low-light interiors and for your concert shooting, it sounds like a good fit for you.

That being said, I also think you'd be very satisfied with the 16-35 f4 and a 35 1.4 combo. The 35 1.4 for portraits is absolutely killer when shooting wide open. 1.4 versus 2.8 for subject isolation is a huge difference at this FL. I understand there is overlap between the lenses, but for most cases you will know what you want to use when you walk out the door. If I have a portrait specific shoot, sometimes I even would bring both if you really wanted a wide environment, but 99% of the time the 35 1.4 would live on my camera along with an 85 prime for portraits.

So. I think you'd like either option. No clear suggestion from me. Except one. Don't think about the rokinon in this decision making. It's a very inexpensive, effective niche lens. If its your astro lens it probably doesn't live in your camera bag adding unnecessary weight. I'd sell it if you get the GM, but it shouldn't be that much of a factor in the decision making.

sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow