16-35 ZA vs GM for environmenal portraits?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ross Warner Senior Member • Posts: 1,317
Re: 16-35 ZA vs GM for environmenal portraits?

Grenn1e wrote:

I'm in a market for wide angle zoom and torn between these two lenses. Main reason to get one is to have a one lens solution for walking around cities like Barcelona etc. I'm a WA guy. There's been many reviews comparing the landscape aspect and both of them are sharp enough for me (and I really like ZA's sunstars) but haven't seen a review comparing them in an environmental portrait setting at 35mm wide open. Does anyone have any insights how do they compare and is the shorter dof you can achieve at f/2.8 a big difference compared to f/4 on ZA. I shoot with A7rll and A7s so I'm not concerned about light gathering.. I will use primes when needed (:

I will also use this lens for events, band gigs and landscapes but it's another story. The main question at the moment is if the GM's rendering at 35mm and wide apertures is something you would pay the extra for. Of course I could also get the ZA and buy the 35/1.4 with it but it won't help when I'm out with just the WA zoom.

Btw, I will pair this zoom with Zony 55/1.8 and Batis 85/1.8 if it makes any difference. All the replies are greatly appreciated (:

-- hide signature --

www.facebook.com/Nestography

At 16mm, the difference in depth of field is not great between f/2.8 and f/4, unless your foreground subject is quite close. Check a depth-of-field calculator, for instance http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I find the f/4 16-35 is a good choice when my Batis 25 f/2.0 is not wide enough, otherwise I prefer the Batis.

-Ross

Ross Warner's gear list:Ross Warner's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow