The RX10 Mark 4 goes on holiday

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hwvlover
hwvlover Senior Member • Posts: 2,066
The RX10 Mark 4 goes on holiday

to St Lucia.

After an enjoyable near nine hour flight yesterday (me, at the onboard bar? Surely not) we arrived at our happy place yesterday evening. I have been looking forward to this particularly as I wanted to see what I could get out of the Mark 4 compared with my little Pannys.

So far so unsure.

The static or slow moving subjects are fine, most of these have been cropped.

First, the frangipani caterpillar....sadly this becomes a dull old moth. I love its mobile phone antenna.

The lizard and also the "I think I am a hummingbird" lizard

A moth of sorts

And a hummingbird, the rather beautiful Green-throated Carib.

I am sending these from my iPad having loaded them via the Sony PlayMemories app. I hope that the exif data travels with them, in fact I hope they are in focus. Other than cropping I have done nothing else to them.

More importantly, catching the hummers in flight is a problem. I try to get as close as I can to the birds, they are wild but not greatly bothered by a quiet and slow moving human presence. I want to get as many mp on the birds as possible to avoid drastic cropping.

So far I have abandoned using tracking and also burst mode, in fact this afternoon I will also give up on AF-C completely. This isn't a "my little Panny did it better" moment.... I had to do the same with it......basically the fancy stuff slows the camera up far too much. Plus the disadvantage of the Sony allowing out-of-focus photographs to be taken is a bit of a bummer especially when using the faster burst modes.

Fortuitously I am here for a couple of weeks, by then I hope that I will have worked out how to get the camera to improve on images such as this from my Panny. I have posted this from my Facebook so doubt the exif will travel.

I did not expect this to be easy, which is just as well, and I will happily take any tips, advice and help.

Thanks in advance and regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow