D850 vs D750 - Personal opinion

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
HP1999 Senior Member • Posts: 2,838
D850 vs D750 - Personal opinion

Hi All,

I know the D850 is still tough to find and this is not meant to be mean or anything.  I have shot with the D750 since the end of 2015 and now with the D850 for about 3 months.

As a D850 trial:

I shot a headshot / portrait session outdoors

I now have two events under my belt both fashion shows/fundraising events.   The format is I shoot make-up and hair as models prepare with some causal backstage stuff.  Then I shoot the VIP's mingling, then general admission, then the fashion show

I use the same lenses I use on my D750 from 2 years ago.

I like many things about the D850, but I will say the tilt LCD allows me to get some great over the head crowd shots.  I am shooting with a mono-pod so i can raise it up even further above my head.  I use the Arca Swiss type connection so a RRS head with Gitzo legs or monopod and tripod for that matter.

IMO it is important based on what I did to use the UHS II cards in the D850.  Dont get me wrong I shot these same events the past two years and it was just fine with two SD UHS I cards.

Now, the other key is flash I use the SB910 and this year the thing overheated and I was stuck for a bit.  I never had this problem before as I own 3 SB 910's and perhaps it was the unit I grabbed.   Nevertheless I have a plan to look for an upgraded flash from either Quantum or Profoto.  Sell 2 SB-910's keep one and if I need another rent it

If I was not shooting what I shoot I think the D750 is perfectly fine.  I had the choice between a D810 and D750 when I started and I felt the D750 ticked the boxes I needed.

I sold camera gear to help finance the D850

HP1999's gear list:HP1999's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-H1
Nikon D750 Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow