LR vs ...

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
srock Regular Member • Posts: 446
LR vs ...

Long time LR user (Ver1) and PS 5

Does 95% of what I want and the workflow is good

Stopped at Ver 6 when Adobe went subscription.  Would have continued if they simply froze me in place if I stopped subscribing, but didnt want to lose ability to edit entirely.

In retrospect over the past several years I havent lost much and since I shoot native DNG LR functions just fine. The haze filter would be useful but thats about it. PS fills in the gaps

I have decided to stay where I am with LR6 and PS5 - and use some of the newer offerings to extend my possibilities- Honestly though these are tools I dont reach for often.

Have purchased affinity, and upgraded dxo 10  to Photolab. Took a chance on Luminar whch shows promise but is far from ready for prime time. These tools round out what I can accomplish in unusual situations

Tried Exposure X3 and found it pretty good- Closest to a LR clone + PS tools- but in the end it didnt do enough for me to change over

ACDsee came closest with its own work flow and good results- The breaker came when I totaled up what can be done parametrically (non destructively) and especially what can be done in local adjustments non destructively (less). I really didnt want to go into edit and bake in my edits - no advantage to what I already have.

On-1 has improved dramatically but the same issues arose-

If I didnt have LR or PS , ACDsee and ON1 are worthy competitors

Capture one is something I struggle with- I like the interface and understand why it is so popular. I may still get a copy (I dont worry about these $- In the long run it is short money and I dont buy antique cars).

Overall, as a long time adobe user I was surprised- no flabbergasted, at the choices available to me outside of Adobe world- I had always assumed that Adobe was the only quality way to go- So wrong!

I am feeling so much better about my choices and don't feel chained. Things will only get better. For me its now back to editing!

Steve

srock's gear list:srock's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-3 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow