Beginner with budget wants to get into portrait photography

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Frederik Witte New Member • Posts: 1
Beginner with budget wants to get into portrait photography

Hey guys,

before I made this post I read a lot about lenses and cameras and I finally came to the conclusion that I want to get the Canon 6D Mark II (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B073D2G7XY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1).

For the lenses I also looked up the best lenses for portrait photography and I came across two lenses in multiple recommendations.

I am still a beginner and I often read that you could just go for let's say a Canon 80D and the cheaper brother of the 85mm with a higher f number for example, but I always prefer to invest more in the beginning to have a lasting product than having to repurchase once you get more serious.

To my experience: I did an apprenticeship as a media designer where we also had half a year or one year in photography, where we learned the basics about white noise, general settings (f number, ISO, shutter speed) and their effects on the picture, like blurring it, taking moving pictures, etc.

I want to do portrait photography as a hobby as I really enjoy it.

When I get more serious and more experienced I want to own both lenses. In the beginning I just want to go for one lens, because already with one lens this setup is about 3800€ and even though I can invest a little more right now, 5700€ would be a little bit much for my very first setup. Now the big question is, for mostly outdoor Portrait photography, would you recommend the 70-200mm or the 85mm lens? I understand that with a fixed focal length you can't zoom in or out, but you could also do that in the end in PhotoShop / Lightroom to crop a little right?

And maybe you even have another recommendation about body or lens and say "Don't get the 6D Mark 2! Get the 5d Mark III"(although I really fell in love with the Mark 2 6D).

Best regards and thank you so much

Fred

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon 6D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow