inconsistent focus on 17-55 f2.8

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jack marsal Forum Member • Posts: 98
inconsistent focus on 17-55 f2.8

My 7-year old Canon 17-55 f2.8 focuses inconsistently on my 7D (I don't have another camera to test it with). It always focuses perfectly at the long end (55 mm), but it typically focuses a bit closer than it should at the short end (shorter than about 30 mm). The problem occurs in all focus modes, but maybe is a bit worse in multipoint focus mode.

None of the other lenses I have exhibit this problem. For example, my 70-200 f4 IS lens focuses perfectly all the time, at every focal length.

I sent this lens into Canon for repair -- twice -- when it was new, to correct this problem. I thought it was probably acceptable after the second repair, but I'm not sure that it ever focused perfectly consistently at the short end.

Is this behavior "within tolerances"?  Or is this something that is clearly wrong and which Canon could fix?  And .... anyone know how much it would cost?

Attached is today's sample of disappointment.  f2.8, 1/125, ISO 160, multipoint focus mode, lens set to 28 mm. I'm guessing that the camera focused about 12" closer than the subjects.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow