To make the switch? Dx -> Fx?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nick1992 Regular Member • Posts: 127
To make the switch? Dx -> Fx?

Hey everyone,

Hope everyone is enjoying the start to the Holiday season!

I am debating if I should switch to FX and, if so, which model. Here is my backstory to this question:

I own a decentttt bit of DX stuff, as I thought I was going to stay in this area. This includes:

1. Nikon D500 (Like New)

2. Tokina 11-16 2.8 (Like New)

3. Nikon 17-55 2.8 (Works perfect, shows its age)

4. Nikon 16-80 2.8 (Like New)

5. MB-D17 Grip (Like New)

I bought the Nikon D500 because when I was looking to upgrade from my first body, it was the newest thing out plus I got into photography for wildlife and birding. Turns out, I shoot everything but wildlife and birds now. I am getting free and some paid gigs for restaurants, healthcare offices, events (for people or companies I know) and other things.

I do not rely on photography to pay the bills. Currently, I am happy in my marketing sales job and it is opening many doors and relationships for my photography hobby. However,  I could see photography as a great side business because of my main job --most recently, a nursing home that I advertise for asked me to submit a quote for a 2-3 day architecture/event shoot.  Plus, my family and friends all started asking about family photos and baptisms and even weddings.

The Nikon D500 has not let me down by any means, but I think switching to FX would be wise if I am going to pursue photography as a side income (or full income sometime in the future).

With the D850 being out, I saw some great D810s go on eBay and locally for about $1800. I know the D750 is a great camera, as well. Nikon is having a deal on a D810 and 24-120 f4 but if I made the switch, I would want the 24-70 2.8 I would think. And as much as I would love to get the D850 because it would feel like the D500, its just a lot of cash, unless I waited until the first time that went on sale.

Does it make sense to switch or am I just thinking crazy thoughts? If so, which body do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow