OSS benefits question for lenses

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LSI_CameraGuy Forum Member • Posts: 70
OSS benefits question for lenses

I'm trying to understand the real world benefit of OSS for lenses.  I am a beginner with Sony A6000 and 16-50mm kit lens (w/ OSS).  I'm considering purchasing the Sony 35/1.8 lens and was curious to see how much OSS reduced blur so I went out w/ my camera and kit lens and did a series of shots w/ SteadyShot setting On and Off.  I shot w/ following details:  hand-held; 2 second delay; f/8 aperture and 1/60 shutter speed.

I'm looking at the jpeg files on my desktop computer and can't detect any difference in sharpness - either at center or corners and even when zooming in.

1.  Was my little test an accurate way to assess impact of OSS or is changing the SteadyShot setting not the same thing?

2.  Are these results surprising to you?  Would it suggest the OSS feature on Sony 35/1.8 won't provide any real value for me?

Any other thoughts welcome

LSI_CameraGuy's gear list:LSI_CameraGuy's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow