16-35 ZA vs GM for environmenal portraits?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Grenn1e Junior Member • Posts: 27
16-35 ZA vs GM for environmenal portraits?

I'm in a market for wide angle zoom and torn between these two lenses. Main reason to get one is to have a one lens solution for walking around cities like Barcelona etc. I'm a WA guy. There's been many reviews comparing the landscape aspect and both of them are sharp enough for me (and I really like ZA's sunstars) but haven't seen a review comparing them in an environmental portrait setting at 35mm wide open. Does anyone have any insights how do they compare and is the shorter dof you can achieve at f/2.8 a big difference compared to f/4 on ZA. I shoot with A7rll and A7s so I'm not concerned about light gathering.. I will use primes when needed (:

I will also use this lens for events, band gigs and landscapes but it's another story. The main question at the moment is if the GM's rendering at 35mm and wide apertures is something you would pay the extra for. Of course I could also get the ZA and buy the 35/1.4 with it but it won't help when I'm out with just the WA zoom.

Btw, I will pair this zoom with Zony 55/1.8 and Batis 85/1.8 if it makes any difference. All the replies are greatly appreciated (:

-- hide signature --

www.facebook.com/Nestography

Grenn1e's gear list:Grenn1e's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7S +7 more
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow