Can we expect a major E-M1 Mark II firmware upgrade?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
tgutgu Veteran Member • Posts: 4,083
Re: Can we expect a major E-M1 Mark II firmware upgrade?

Since the E-M1II doesn’t keep up with Olympus‘ marketing claims (the AF-C is too unreliable, the green AF fields often do not correspond to what is in focus later on in the image, the flexibility to confine an AF zone is too limited), a major upgrade to the E-M1II AF system and interface is long overdue.

I am quite a bit fed up with the current state, so that I pre-ordered the Panasonic G9 and will operate both of them in parallel for a certain time. My current impression is that the E-M1II will not match the G9 and therefore may have to go.

When Olympus released the E-M1II, they promised us a lot. A reliable and fast AF system, which is not quite there. They promised a sustaining support of their flagship with firmware updates, of which so far nothing significant could be seen.

In order to stay competitive, Olympus has to come up with problem solutions quite quickly. The G9 will arrive to the markets in January 2018 and it is cheaper. It has a much better high speed view finder, better video implementation and sports an AF-Joystick, which Olympus lazily omitted, despite all competitors added it to their flagship produkts.

So, Olympus is at crossroads. Will they fulfill their promises or won’t they? Will they be incorporating the numerous user requirements and update the faulty AF system?

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow