Snapshot or Art Photographer?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bluehighwayman Regular Member • Posts: 399
Snapshot or Art Photographer?

I went to an opening yesterday of a fellow photographer which was an exhibit of her black and white photos taken some years ago.  During her excellent talk she revealed that it wasn't until a photo journalist friend commented, upon viewing her photos, 'so you're a snapshot photographer' that she changed her style.  The thought of falling into that category of photography was appalling.  Her work reflected the change in that here was a show of form and shadow featuring the naked human body in nature.

Upon returning home and viewing my own photos I must admit the majority most likely fall into the the category of snapshots.  The question I'd like to discuss is whether, like my friend, would you be appalled to have your work described as snapshots?  Considering the thousands of dollars and hours dedicated is the only acceptable goal to produce 'Art Photography'?  I have many more questions but will leave it at those two to start.

bluehighwayman's gear list:bluehighwayman's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow