A99II and shutter count

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
J Danley Junior Member • Posts: 30
A99II and shutter count

Hello everyone. I've been using an A99 mk 1 for the past several months after upgrading from an A700. It's definitely an upgrade over what I had but I find myself constrained by some of the short comings of the A99. The long start-up time, the wireless flash delay, the somewhat short battery life, and the narrow focus spread are things that while not the end of the world, give me pause and takes me out of the experience.

As such, I'm looking to now sell the A99 mk 1 and get an A99 mk 2. From my research, I believe that this model addresses most of the issues that I've experienced. What I was hoping to solicit advice for is whether or not you can tell the shutter count on a used A99 mk 2 like you can on the mk1? It's my understanding that the Sony Alpha Shutter count tool (http://tools.science.si/index.php) doesn't work for the mk2. I can purchase a new camera for $3198. There are a few used options with grip are out there for a bit over $2500. The savings is attractive and I've had good luck with used gear in the past but I would like some sense of shutter count if buying used. Is there a tool that accomplishes this? One seller on eBay is quoting a shutter count and says he got the info from Exiftool.  Does that sound possible/accurate?

I have a lot of good Sony glass to back up the A99 mk2 so I think that it will be a good fit.  I'll buy new if I have to but wanted to at least entertain exploring the use route first.  I look forward to your replies and thank you in advance for your help.

J Danley's gear list:J Danley's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 SSM II +7 more
Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow