30x zoom or 3x zoom for compact camera?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
rochester21 Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: 30x zoom what for?

Brisn5757 wrote:

rochester21 wrote:

My biggest concern by far when visiting a place is how wide the lens is. I cant't take pictures of historic places with a 35mm lens! Unless you are happy with framing half of a building...

30x zoom is good to have on a safari, but only if you can get clear pictures with good colors all along the zoom range, which is tricky. What else is that zoom range useful for, squirells and footbal games, moon shots?

So it depends on your style. I am perfectly happy with my panasonic lx3's 2.5x zoom because it starts at 24mm f2.0-2.8 and this means i can fully use the zoom range even in the dark and i can frame an entire building if needed. When i go places i shoot mostly scenery, buildings and people. Close-up shoots are important too(food, flowers etc).

Fortunately these days there are plenty of cameras with more than 3x zoom, enough wide end and decent lens that can accommodate most demands for a travel camera. Choose the best compromise for you.

Some cameras have a panorama option to allow for wide photos.

Obe example of zoom lens is to take a photo of a castle in the distance or a historical bell on top of a building. Candid photography also with zoom lens.

Brian

Panaromas and old narrow streets don't go well. Europe at least is full of them.

As much as i wanted to shoot mountains, animals or church bells with a compact, they usually don't come out as inspiring especially on the run.

This is why i hate guided tours, no time to properly compose the shot.

In the end though, it's the photographer that makes the photo. My first lens ever was a Canon EF 80-200. A horrible lens that could make anyone cry. I used it along a 10 day trip in Greece and amazingly managed to get quite a few decent shots with that thing. So it can be done.

Since then portable ultra zoom compacts have come a long way and should match a low end dslr and lens, so even better results should be expected. Depends on the budget as well, i am sure a sony rx10 could handle anything you throw at her.

I`m still more fond of my LX3, but only because it fits a jacket pocket. If that`s a non-issue, then you could get a lot of things done with the RX10/FZ1000 etc.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow