What's your Custom Button Mappings?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
blueknigh7 Junior Member • Posts: 45
What's your Custom Button Mappings?

Having my first DSLR, I'm wondering what everyone eventually maps to their custom buttons, or perhaps remaps to existing buttons.  Just trying to get the ideas out there and please list why!

For myself: I'm testing out the FN1 button as AF-ON.  Front Button AutoFocus!

I'm getting use to the D7500 and happily use Back Button AF by remapping AE/AF-Lock.  That said, when I'm going full manual, I find my thumb getting confused with selecting an AF point, using BBF, and also flipping through the Shutter Dial.  I also have relatively small hands, and the AE-Lock is ok, but is not exactly comfortable.

I've read that some people don't like the position of FN1 on the D7500 and that it gets in the way.  I find my index finger sitting perfectly on top of it, and pressing it is a quick twitch, but does not move my hold position.  It's default map is just the visible leveler... which I never use, so I'm trying to remap it to AF-ON.  You could argue that this could introduce less stability when pressing, but at least for my hands, reaching for the AE-Lock button via thumb is more of a strain than pressing the FN1 with my index finger.

Anyway, that's my share for right now.  I also think this button layout is somewhat unique to the D7500, so it won't apply for all models.  What is everyone else doing?   I haven't even used my FN2 button yet...

blueknigh7's gear list:blueknigh7's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow