Saying bye to the 35mm f1.4

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aloli Regular Member • Posts: 240
Saying bye to the 35mm f1.4

So I decided to sell the 35mm f1.4 and swap it for the 35mm f2 WR.

I don't know if I regret the decision yet, but what I do know is that I will miss the lens. It may have been slow to focus.... it may have even focused on bokeh balls at times instead of my subject... and it may have sounded like a meat-grinder with a chirping cicada inside. Despite all that, this lens was a pleasure to shoot with.

I've heard some deride the 'crushed aluminium can' hood, but in my opinion it's the nicest looking lens hood I have had the privilege to use, despite its bulk. I even had someone ask me if I was using a Leica lens! (I'm still puzzled.)

And while I don't believe in 'magical' sensors or bodies (opinion: photographers are what make pictures magical, not equipment), this lens definitely produced pleasing images. It's sharp, and at f1.4 it can throw the background into a nice blur.

Snacks and drinks store at a Kopitiam (a food court chain in Singapore)

Are bike-sharing companies just an Asian thing or are they showing up elsewhere too?

There was a cat adoption drive going on, and my (admittedly unhealthy) obsession with cats led me to bring my XE2 down to take a few quick shots. I ended up staying there for an hour... and I came back when the second round of the adoption drive happened the next week. Cats may be a cliche photographic subject, but... but -

Alright, I concede. I have no real argument to make. They're just cute.

I've never been one for faded, pinkish tones, but I gave it a shot here...

Bokeh-ball abuse. I'm genuinely sorry for shooting everything wide open... I really am

Not sure what this tiny fella was yelping about. Unleashing his inner, predatory instincts?

Like a child.

And with that, it's time to say bye (to the lens, and to you). If you want my thoughts on this lens: if you're thinking about it, just do it. The experience of shooting with a fast, 50mm equivalent prime will be worth your time, even if you end up deciding you need the WR, or faster focus speed of the F2.

aloli's gear list:aloli's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow