Procreational vs. Recreational

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ZodiacPhoto
ZodiacPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,385
Procreational vs. Recreational

I realized that, like that other practice, photography can be procreational and recreational.

If you are a professional, you are obviously involved in procreational photography – the goal of your activity is to create a product you can sell to your clients.

I am an amateur, and during the last few years, I notice that my photography becomes more recreational than procreational.

I almost stopped printing my photos – maybe 5-6 per year. I view them on my computer screen or on the iPad.

I don’t try to share my photos with strangers – I don’t post them on Facebook, Instagram, etc.

I have a small website (ZodiacPhoto.com) which I use to share what I like with friends and coworkers.

I sometimes don’t even remove the memory card from my camera for weeks after the shooting – only when I am in the mood (and have time) to sort and post-process the photos.

Yet I would not consider for a minute forfeiting photography. When I am in a park or on a trip, I really enjoy the very process of shooting – both artistic (light, color, composition) and technical (exposure settings, etc.) aspects of it.

I would say that my photography now is about 10% procreational, and 90% recreational.

If you are an amateur, what is your ratio?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow