Excellent Buy

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
igool
igool New Member • Posts: 18
Excellent Buy

Review after almost 3 years of usage:

Having used the camera for 3 years, I thought I'd give it a review.

Focusing speed is very fast (with the right lenses) although compared to newer cameras it might be a bit inaccurate especially in low light.

There is also 11fps mode which I use often, although the buffer fills up very quickly despite using a U3 card (the camera only writes up to U1 speed)

Image quality still holds up well (again with the right lenses)

Viewfinder, although of a pretty low resolution, is very useful in bright conditions when screen brightness does not hold up against the sun. It is also useful when reviewing images and provide live preview of settings.

Noise control is excellent and JPEGs with Normal NR is usable up to ISO3200

The applications are great and I use the Multi-Exposure feature, as well as Smooth Reflection.

Build quality: After two years of usage, the Mode dial has some sensitivity issues when in Aperture mode. The mode would keep switching in and out with just a light touch of the dial. This is a minor issue and might have been caused by moisture seepage. Also caused by moisture is the rusting of some parts of the hot shoe (luckily for me I don't use any external flashes or mics). Wonder why they didn't include a hot shoe cover which costs less than a dollar...

Video quality: average and lacks internal stabilisation. There is also no headphone jack to monitor audio. No 4K either but not a big issue for a stills photographer.

Overall, a very good buy even today (although in Singapore, at least, the price has not changed at all for 3 years...) But that being said, it's still of excellent value as almost no competitors can match its focusing speed and image quality for the price!

igool's gear list:igool's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a6000 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Fujifilm X30 +3 more
Sony Alpha a6000
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 12, 2014
igool's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow