Pros/cons of the FZ300 vs. FZ80? ...and a concern about long zooms.

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sbutk Regular Member • Posts: 100
Pros/cons of the FZ300 vs. FZ80? ...and a concern about long zooms.

May be in the market for a new camera, if my present FZ200 turns out to be unrepairable. I truly have enjoyed the 200, and have definitely put it through its paces [banked around 21k snaps on a recent 3-week trip]. Thus the FZ300, with its various tweaks and improvements, immediately caught my attention as a likely succesor. But then the FZ80 was also recommended to me.

I see several things that I still like better about the 300, even though it is a slightly older model. However, one main observation may be a make-or-break for me. My FZ200 had a 24X zoom, which I absolutely loved. (I tend to shoot a lot of wildlife, including birds in flight.) The vast majority of my shots were at less than full resolution, so I'd be taking advantage of Extended Zoom (which maxed out at more like 45X at 2.5MP, if I recall correctly).

My question is this: Since the frame started to get a bit difficult to control (hand-held) at that high a zoom [I'm admittedly not the steadiest person] ...Would I likely have even more trouble with the FZ80 with its 60X (let alone EZ, in this case).

Curious whether anybody feels my concern about the long zoom is valid, or if they'd be willing to highlight any other pros/cons between the two models. As with the FZ200, the constant f2.8 aperture, plus the additional weather proofing of the 300 sound pretty appealing.

Thanks, in advance, for any/all opinions.

Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow