Trouble Focusing on Mostly White Subject (D500)

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hersh23 New Member • Posts: 12
Trouble Focusing on Mostly White Subject (D500)

So I'm having an issue with my NikonD500. It seems that when I'm trying to photograph a subject that is mainly white with some color (in this case, a white poster board sign with a few words in black), my camera has a REALLY tough time Auto Focusing.
This isn't the first time I've had this issue with a situation where the majority of the image is white. I was also taking photos of a product for a relative who set the product in one of those "portable LED Light Boxes", and I had the same issue: Product, surrounded by a white background, and the Auto Focus would NOT Focus. It would go blurry and would not focus on anything, even though things are as Contrasty as possible. 
I AM able to actually able to focus, on both the text of the white poster board I'm currently trying to photograph and on the product in the light box a while back, if I change my Focusing on the D500 from Auto to either Group or Single Point. I can focus fast an instantly. But when I'm in Auto Focus, the lens or camera goes haywire and blurs everything and for some reason, can't focus even though there is plenty to focus on.
Anyone have any idea what is going on or any pointers?

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow