30x zoom or 3x zoom for compact camera?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 53,074
Re: Depends heavily on what you are doing

Brisn5757 wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Brisn5757 wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

If I'm going to museums and other similar sites, I take wide angles. If I'm going to a wildlife refuge, I take the big telephoto. If I'm doing some of each, I take some of each.

Any 3x zoom compact is going to be in the middle - 28-84, for example. Neither wide, nor long.

A 30x is also unlikely to be wide, just long (24-720, for example). Do you need big telephoto where you are going?

Hi Lee.

I'm going on a tour of Great Britain and hope to take photos inside London museums.

I'd be looking to take telephoto pictures of the tops of buildings and such, and thus I personally would not be without a telephoto.

On my recent trip to the museums of Washington DC, 20% of my shots were taken at 110mm equivalent and above. A few of those are now among my very favorite images. A butterfly and some flowers at the botanic gardens, some precious jewels at the Natural History museum, the Martin Luther King memorial, the top of the US capital building, even Darth Vader on the side of the National Cathedral.

What camera did you use for your museum photos?

Canon 7D Mark II.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow