Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Questions thread
JimH123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,905
Re: If you want the best, a dedicated cooled CCD cameras are far better than all the DSLRs and ILCs

1llusive wrote:

JimH123 wrote:

I have used many cameras for night sky imaging, but once I got a dedicated CCD camera, my opinions have changed. They are available in color or mono (I have both) and with the cooling, noise is greatly controled.

As an example using a mono Atik 460ex, here is one example of m27, the Dumbbell Nebula. This consists of 10 images stacked of 40 sec each taken with an Explore Scientific 102ed, a 4" objective with a focal length of 714mm. A camera like this far exceeds what any DSLR can do.

Hey Jim, do you have the FCD1 or FCD100 glass in your ES ED102? Great scope, but judging from your upper corners you may have focuser sag.

I don't know which type of glass it has.  And I do believe I have some focuser sag.  Once I add the proper extension tube, add the filter wheel, add the field flattener, plus proper extension tube and then the CCD camera, it is very long and heavy.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Sony a7 III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow