Does high speed sync on Godox TT350 make any sense?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karsten Bruun Qvist New Member • Posts: 2
Does high speed sync on Godox TT350 make any sense?

I've done some simple experiments to get an impression of how much of the max lightoutput is lost when switching the (small) Godox TT350F speedlight to high speed mode (using a Fuji X-T2).

In essence, I put the flash, mounted on the camera on a tripod in manual mode at 1/1 output, and photographed a grey target pasted to the wall. Conditions were such that ambient light played no role in the exposure.

Photos were imported into Lightroom, and the 'loupe' in develop mode was used to read the L-value at a specified location on the grey target.

In succession, the three images above show the grey taget and the measured L-value for three conditions, all referring to full flash output in manual mode:

1) manual, non-HSS mode at 1/250s (sync speed of Fuji X-T2)

2) manual, HSSmode at 1/250 s (a lot of light lost just be switching to HSS mode)

3) manual, HSSmode at 1/500 s (drastic further loss of light output)
It thus seems to me that more than 2.5 stops of max output is loss just be switching from non-HSS to HHS at 1/250 s, and that about 6 stops is lost when comparing non-HSS at 1/250 s with HSS at 1/500 s. If you loose that much of the possible maximum output by going from non-HSS 1/250 s to hhs 1/500 s, that leads me to question whether HSS on Godox TT350 makes any sense, given that it is not a powerful flash to begin with.
Does anybody else have experience with HSS on the TT350?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow