GW-3 Wide Angle lens for GR II

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 1,618
GW-3 Wide Angle lens for GR II

My wife picked up a GW-3 wide angle lens for me and here's a short review.

The lens comes with lens hood lens cap and end cap, along with a pouch.

You'll need the GH-1 lens hood adapter for it to screw on to.

The lens is fairly heavy, at least as heavy as the GR itself. The lens hood is rubber and a friction fit. I'm not using it so far.

With the GW-3 attached, the barrel is visible if you're using a optical finder, but the finder is still usable if you don't have OCD. In the menu you can set the camera for the GW-3, but as far as I can tell it only ID's the lens in your EXIF and doesn't change anything else.

Obviously this lens makes the camera substantially larger, but if you work from a small bag (as I often do) it's nothing to carry around. The camera is a bit front heavy, but you'll get used to it quickly as the whole camera is still pretty light.

If you have some experience, then you already know 21mm is a lot wider than 28mm.

Quite a difference. Sorry for the boring shots!

I played with settings and I see minimal light loss with the lens attached. I also see NO loss of sharpness, even at the edges. It's clearly a well made hunk of glass.

So the IQ penalty is just about zero for this lens and 21mm is really useful at times. These sell for around 150 bucks and you need the 50 dollar adapter for it to work.

This was the last accessory to round out my GR II kit. Now we'll see if a GR III is coming anytime soon!

Rob

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D850 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +14 more
Ricoh GR II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow