70-200mm Choices

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nivedita Contributing Member • Posts: 576
70-200mm Choices

I have been trying to see the options for 70-200mm Lenses. I tried two copies of Sony 70-200mm F2.8 GM and though it is a good lens, I am not sure whether I can justify the price. You can see my sample in a thread (@200mm, F2.8 samples).

I am thinking of the following less expensive options:

1) Tamron 70-200mm G2 with Sigma MC-11 adapter. I do not know how good or bad is the focus performance. I am not planning to shoot the lens in any sport. My plan is for portraits, some stage events and  landscape photos (occasionally). I do not know whether this option or the Sony A-mount version with LA-EA3 adapter is better.

2) Sony 70-00mm F4G lens. Yes, I am going to lose 1 stop. But with excellent Low light performance one A7RII or A7RIII, I believe it should not be a problem. I do not know how good/bad this lens is for stage type events. Also I terms of sharpness, I am hearing mixed reviews on this lens.

The other option is to get Tamron G1 version and it might be cheaper but not sure about the performance with adapters.

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Nivedita

Nivedita's gear list:Nivedita's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax FA 70-200 F2.8 HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow