On viewing in CS6 as 'print size' VS 100% 'Actual Pixels'

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Easy Rider
Easy Rider Senior Member • Posts: 4,948
On viewing in CS6 as 'print size' VS 100% 'Actual Pixels'

I guess the terminology is confusing me and I've never printed the maximum from the sensor so I don't know.

So if my photograph measures 50.8cm x 33.87cm at the full resolution of 4000 x 6000 and the PPI is 300 - would that size print be the same as what i see at 100% ('actual pixels' in CS6 terminology) or would it be what I'm seeing when I click the 'print size' button.

I ask as some of my shots at 100% you would not want to print that large, oh boy no! if it is what you see at 100%

But when I click the 'print size' button they look fine and if that is showing the full 50.8cm x 33.87cm at the full resolution of 4000 x 6000 and the PPI is 300 - then that would be amazing.

Again 'print size' comes up at around '33% view' and maybe just because at the bottom of the screen in CS6 shows 50.8cm X 33.87cm etc - maybe that is not what print size is giving me.

Or maybe it is. I really honestly do no know. When I go to Image > 'Image Size' they read

4000 x 6000 pixels, 'document size' 50.8cm x 33.87cm resolution 300 PPI and I use bicubic. Pixel dimensions 68.7M

When I view at print size, obviously it does not fit my 15.6' laptop monitor. But if I use the hand cursor to move it and measure the edges it does indeed measure 50.8cm aprox by 33.87cm, SO can I assume that is essentially (not taking into account printer, ink, paper variables) what the print quality will look like (in which case phew, I'm shooting well as I always thought) or is 100% what that size print with those dimensions will look like?

I assume not as when I click on 100% view in CS6 and measure the edges with a ruler, those dimensions of 50.8cm x 33.87cm are not correct, they are huge! In 100% viewing the horizontal edge alone measures just over 1.5 metres - 150cm.

Thanks

As a little extra, if I am correct, why then and for what applications would we view larger than the maximum possible print size?  But the first question is more important to me.

Cheers

Easy Rider's gear list:Easy Rider's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Nikon D5300 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow