Close-up Filter or Extension Tubes ?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 12,586
Re: Close-up Filter or Extension Tubes ?

Using a macro lens, i.e. one that lets you get a 1:1 image, is generally easier than using extension tubes or close up lenses.  If you want to get an even greater magnification than 1:1 then you can use an extension tube with the macro lens.

If you do buy extension tubes be sure to get good quality metal ones that pass through aperture signals.  You made an investment in a camera body and lenses so don't go cheap on extension tubes, buy quality.

The Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS will give you very good image quality. Hand holding a macro lens is more common than using a tripod so the Image Stabilization of this lens is a great feature.  The new price is $749.99 with an eBay used price around $450-$550.

YouTube - 10 Macro Photography Tips

YouTube - My 10 Best Macro Photography Tips for Beginners

If you can't afford this lens the Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 lens is a good quality lens with the drawback that it doesn't have image stabilization. You can get one of these new for about $650 or used for $200-$400 depending on condition and source.

I bought my Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 locally over Craigslist for about $250, but you need to know what you are doing when you buy a lens without a return guarantee.  I have been doing photography for over 50 years and could tell from looks and some quick tests that there didn't appear to be problems (call it an educated risk).  The original owner wasn't happy with the image sharpness and had barely used the lens but once I added an Auto Focus Microadjustment I solved that problem.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow