S5is, repair or replace

Started Nov 18, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
twixbar New Member • Posts: 4
S5is, repair or replace

Hi all,

The short story. My camera was dropped when the lens was out, lens is damaged. Repair would be $85. Trying to decide to repair or replace.

I bought the S5is new, years ago. 2006 or 2007 maybe. My photos generally consist of people, family pictures, flower macro shots, and landscape pictures, and some product photography.

I like the camera, I like the zoom. I like the macro/super macro. Also, like the flip out viewer. I occasionally use some of the non-auto functions, though not often. Last time I did, I taught myself how to get a bokeh effect picture. I always thought I'd get an extra lens or flash, but have not done so.

I'm just trying to decide before Christmas is here, if I should just repair it and move on, or see if there is a dslr with lens(es) (to do what I do now) that I can buy under $200 total. I'd love to get something newer, but I don't have hundreds to spend on a camera hobby, and 8mp is fine. I could just save for a while, but I'm not sure how long I can live without a decent camera.

Canon or nikon is what I recognize as good brands. As long as learning curve would be similar to what I have, I don't see a problem learning. My nephew got a nice new Nikon, fun but different controls, worked great. I sent him here to read reviews etc.

I'll be on here reading old camera reviews. I'm open to suggestions.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow