In praise of the J5 / FT-1 / 300mm PF combination

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Andy Lucy New Member • Posts: 8
In praise of the J5 / FT-1 / 300mm PF combination

The 300mm f/4.0 PF lens mounted on the J5 with the FT-1 adapter can give some very fine images, in my opinion.  I've attached some images for comment.

First, a cricket photo.  The FT-1 was held, loosely mounted on a tripod, at the boundary of the cricket field.  The reach is just perfect for getting a batsman or bowler in shot, and I used the 60fps feature to capture the action.  The camera can just about write a burst of 20 shots to a fast card before the next ball is bowled.  I reckon that this system is unbeatable for cricket (a decent sensor, 810mm equivalent focal length, f/4.0, 60 fps - what could be better?).

Second, a garden shot showing that exceptional detail can be captured.  Try looking at the bird feathers at full magnification.  I had the lens at f/5.6, which most reviewers have noted gives the sharpest results.

And third, to show it can be done, a handheld photo of a bird in flight.

Of course, it does help that the kestrel hovered very obligingly for long enough for me to take the shot.  In this case, I had the camera at waist level to keep it stable, with the viewfinder angled towards me.

All three of the above pictures were taken at base iso - I find that this really does help to get good colours and detail in the images.

Andy

Andy Lucy's gear list:Andy Lucy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Nikon 1 J5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow