Canon FF on a budget used 5D II and primes

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Easy Rider
Easy Rider Senior Member • Posts: 4,937
Canon FF on a budget used 5D II and primes

I have a new Fuji X-100T which has become my go to Street camera.

For other type shooting like travel and walkaround I have an Nikon D5300 and Sigam 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM.  But I have never owned FF and as a photographer I want to see the difference for myself through experience not reviews and test charts etc.

I have opted for a used 5D II as it is a good compromise of IQ and price and robustness.

I will sell the Nikon D5300 and 17-50mm F2.8 one and buy my fist FF camera for travel and walkabout.   I want to see what it is like and can always resell if I decide stay with APS-C and would then likely Move to a Fuji X-20 and either 18-55 or primes.

But I can get Cannon FF for similar prices both body and lenses.

SO A used 5DII.

A 50mm F1.4 usm.

Then either a 24mm F2.8 USM or a 35mm F2 (kind of intermediate and might as well have 24mm and 50mm seems more sensible.)

Used prices on the 50mm F1.4 USM are good, within budget.

The second prime lens (I want to use primes only with this camera) would put me a bit over budget, either the 24mm F2.8 USM or 35mm F2 EF.

I want the F1.4 50mm USM for both it's low light capability and it is said to much sharper wide open compared to the F1.8 which seems best stopped down a little.  The F1.4 seems liek a stellar option.

For my wider lens F2.8 is fine on FF as I am used to F2.8 on APS-C anyway so I get a bit more light anyhow.

Are there older options for the 24mm or 35mm prime or even off brand options that are as good or close or as good as the USM versions but would be more affordable?

Thanks.

Easy Rider's gear list:Easy Rider's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Nikon D5300 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow