Thinking of trying out M4/3, what lenses?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DanMcG Regular Member • Posts: 180
Thinking of trying out M4/3, what lenses?

So I'm looking to get into the ILC world after years of various Canon P&S cameras culminating in the G1X I have now, which I enjoy but has limitations. I really like the form factor of the Oly EM10, so I'm strongly considering renting one for a few days to see if it fits my wants and needs and if it's a real improvement on what I have now.

I guess I have a few questions about this. If I were to rent, what's the best of the "cheap" oly/pana kit lenses out there so that I can rent one and see if I should even bother with such a lens. I'd also want something like the Oly 45 1.8 for people photos, so in addition to that lens I'd have to decide if I should go for a kit lens or another wider angle cheap prime.

Also, the things about the G1X that specifically feel like limitations to me are the camera's focus speed and the very limited dynamic range (lots of banding and noise in shadows). For focus speed, I'm sure any of the current M4/3 cameras would be a big improvement. For the DR/shadow noise issue, I was thinking the Oly's excellent IBIS would allow me to hand-hold longer exposure shots of things like sunsets so I'd be able to use a much lower ISO than what I would in the G1X, which would hopefully result in photos with far cleaner shadow areas. If my thinking is incorrect, please let me know.

Last question- assuming I'm buying used, is there any particularly compelling reason to look at the M10 Mk2 over the Mk1 for ~$100 more? Or any of the Pana bodies around the $300 body-only price point I should consider instead?

DanMcG's gear list:DanMcG's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot S110
Leica M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow