Best "getting started" kit lens package for an 80D or T6s?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dave bren New Member • Posts: 22
Best "getting started" kit lens package for an 80D or T6s?

Me: amateur photog, strictly hobbyist. Moving from an older Olympus.  I shoot mostly kids sports (track and softball) and landscapes during travel and hiking trips. Some indoor shots at family events and parties. I want the ability to advance my skills and explore a bit more RAW post-processing, and try out some newer techniques and lenses.

I've narrowed my decision on a new dSLR purchase to three models on the refurb site that fall within my budget (~$800US) and seem to line up with my needs. Given my targeted spend, I want to maximize the overall kit, especially with the included lens(es), so I have enough options to work with until I save up for some more glass:

EOS 80D EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Kit Refurbished - $779

EOS Rebel T6s EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Kit Refurbished - $749

EOS Rebel T6s EF-S 18-135mm IS STM Lens Kit & EF-S 55-250mm IS STM Refurbished - $809

The 80D clearly gets me the better body but with a more limited lens at the start. The T6s is a step backward for the body, but I'd maximize value with the lenses - I'm just having trouble determining how much I'd be sacrificing with the T6s.

Also a factor, my father-in-law said he'd give me his 70-300 he no longer uses, so I'd have that in my bag.  Just not sure I'd want to lug that around anytime I want to get past 55mm - the 18-135 sounds like a great "do-it-all" lens.

Damn, I'm torn.  But I need to pull the trigger soon, the refurb deals (which seem pretty phenomenal) likely won't be around forever.

Any thoughts?

Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T6s (EOS 760D / EOS 8000D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow