Image focus quality evaluation

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JJ_aussie New Member • Posts: 5
Image focus quality evaluation

Well here's a surprise! I just purchased a FZ2500 and I'm looking for some feedback the focus quality of a few images. Content, exposure, subject matter placement etc not under consideration; just the focus quality.

I have spent quite a bit of time going through this wonderful and helpful forum and the rather succinct manuals gradually improving things.

My big breakthrough was realising that the setting of the Focus/Release Priority is fraught with danger. This is on page 222 of the Advanced Manual and Page 3/10 of the Custom Menus.

From my experience it is easy to leave the AFS/AFF selection on Release, which in my understanding means that the camera will take a photo without the Autofocus fully completing its action.

So set it and then come back in and ensure it's set correctly.

When I ensured this was correctly set, my images improved.

The following images were taken hand-held with emphasis on faster shutter settings to compensate. Stabilisation is Off, Diffraction Compensation is Auto and the first few shots are using Intelligent Auto.

Whilst I want to use this camera to its full capabilities, I still want to wander through a place like Rome, be a tourist and use Intelligent Auto.

Image 1 is no telephoto just so you know what we are working with:

Image1

Image2

I'm picking up some mesh just below the top metal ribbing in image 2 which is still reasonably well defined when you pixel-peep it.

Image3

Image 3 is manual focus version of Image 2

Image4

Image5

Image6

Image 6 is a manual focus version of Image 5.

Many thanks in advance for your input and comments

JJ

JJ_aussie's gear list:JJ_aussie's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Panasonic FZ2500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow