Choosing to forgo the 70-200mm ii

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Austin7642 Regular Member • Posts: 213
Choosing to forgo the 70-200mm ii

I know for some users this may sound like blasphemy, but I decided against buying a 70-200mm ii and I bought a 70-300mm l to compliment my 135mm l instead. After doing a lot of research, while a lot users praise the 70-200mm ii as being one of Canon's greatest lenses (it is), many also didn't like it because of its weight, which I strongly agree with. I would have also had to have parted with my 135mm l, which is just an amazing lens to use with my 35mm ii for portraits. The 135mm L is also great for me as a longer mid-telephoto for street photography. Besides the weight, I also couldn't see myself shooting enough weddings or dedicated events to justify having this lens just for its f/2.8 ability. Otherwise, outside of a wedding or maybe sports without much light, the extra weight and cost for just one lens when I could have two instead with less weight felt like a better choice. For the paid gigs when I do need this lens, I plan to continue to rent the 70-200mm moving forward, but otherwise, I can't justify owning this lens.

I'm wondering if anyone else has made a similar choice, to buy a different lens or lenses than the 70-200mm ii. I'm aware that for many, it's a one fit solution for many uses, but there also seems to be a lot of photographers who have a love/hate relationship with because of its lack of ergonomics and great weight. So, thoughts?

Austin7642's gear list:Austin7642's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow