D50 with a 50mm

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 10,154
D50 with a 50mm

Initial shots with my free D50 and the second lens in its probable permanent kit, a refurbished copy of the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D. This lens (of course) feels much nicer than the plastic bodied/plastic mount 28-80mm G zoom, and (also of course) is pleasingly small and light compared to the already small zoom. An obvious disappointment is its long minimum focus distance, especially compared to the zoom which is surprisingly good close up.

Also obvious in retrospect was that this prime, with its comparatively large maximum aperture, tempts the user more to work indoors, where the noise limits of this camera at high ISO come up fast. Indoor photography with this D50 is going to require a lot of practice and even then, its not going to be something I am going to want to do except as an exercise or in an emergency. Outdoors the results are better and closer to what I expected/was hoping for.

(Many apologies for the familiar subjects-- I have been fighting a terrible respiratory infection and just don't feel up to wandering the neighborhood in my usual way. So you are getting the back yard and its familiar plants, and my dog as an indoor, high ISO sample. All are straight out of camera jpegs, though the last one has been cropped.)

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +14 more
Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow