OM-D EM5: which flash to get?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zwzzdr New Member • Posts: 6
OM-D EM5: which flash to get?

I've had an Olympus OM-D EM5 since 2012 and loved it ever since.
For most of my shooting, I use the Oly 45 1.8 lens, as I mainly do (fashion) portraits.
Usually I shoot outside and use just natural light + a reflector, but lately I've been needing to shoot inside (for my job) where there's not always enough light available.

Given the pop-up flash on the EM5 is not very powerful, nor is it easy to bounce, I'm thinking of buying an external flash.

Flash photography is really new for me (like really), so I'd like your input.
From reading on here and other forums, I understand that a good flash should have
- TLL
- can be off camera
- high speed sync
- a head that can be turned in all directions, also backwards (for bouncing)

The Nissin i40 seems to be very good, compact and a nice price.
On YouTube I've seen that on an EM5, the pop up flash needs to be used as a master if you want to use the Nissin off camera.
Are there flashes for m43 available that would work with a trigger remote and/or cable instead of having to need the pop up flash?

Are there other flashes you would recommend?
I'd like to spend between XX and 200 euros maximum (the Nissin is 199 where I live).
The price + off-camera are quite a must.

Also, what guide number should I need to be able to make both shots at about let's say 12-25mm (with the 12-50 kit lens) where enough of the room is filled and shots (with the 45 1.9) like in the links:
f253884175480979f57694e08b194623--flash-photography-photography-tutorials.jpghttps://www.fashiongonerogue.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/kirsten-dunst-juergen-teller2.jpg

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kli
kli
kli
kli
kli
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow