Looking for a lens for close-up (1-5 feet) pet photography. Macro or wide lens?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kgor93 New Member • Posts: 14
Looking for a lens for close-up (1-5 feet) pet photography. Macro or wide lens?

I have an A6300 with the 16-50mm OSS f/3.5-5.5 lens as my general use lens am
A bit of background, my main use for the camera is to take pictures and video of shelter cats in lowish light conditions. I post the pictures on social media to try and get these guys adopted. I've used my iPhone 8+ in a pinch for video but I think the A6300 can really shine with pictures.

Probably the biggest thing I need in a lens is a short focal length. So maybe a macro? I'm usually flying solo at the shelter trying to get pictures so if they're in my lap in a cute position, I need to be able to catch that. I've tried using a tripod and the app... it's not something that I find doable. So much lag. And the 50mm needs to be a good 3+ feet away to get a focus. So yeah, would a macro fit what I'm trying to do? Most of my pictures will be shot from a distance of 1'-5' from the cat with mediocre light at the shelter. Or maybe a wide lens?

Here are some pictures of a cat I took in below-average light at the shelter taken with the 16-50mm. I do like the kit lens, but in general I find that it has a very soft focus, even when there's adequate light.

https://imgur.com/gallery/feOqe

I tried out the Sony f/1.8 35mm lens. It was okay. Couldn't get used to the crop factor though. So I returned it for the Sony f/1.8 50mm that I have now. It's weird, the 50mm has even more of a crop factor, but it has amazing sharpness and definition....

Here are some shots of the Sony f/1.8 50mm lens. Many of them are blurry but there are a few good ones.
https://imgur.com/a/J7cBk

So any advice?

Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow