Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Questions thread
kiwi2
kiwi2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,398
Re: Best DSLR or ILC for Night Sky Imaging?

rnclark wrote:

Boy you guys are still at it. Don't be fooled: many things change in those dpreview comparisons. XT-2: aps-c 3.93 micron pixels, 5DII: full frame 6.4 micron pixels, 80D: aps-c 3.7 micron pixel size, a6000: aps-c 3.92 micron pixels. They change the lens between formats, and it looks like they change the focal length within formats too. They keep f-ratio constant to keep exposure the same, but that means absolute light levels change, which means photon noise levels change. Then the demosaicking algorithm changes between cameras. Small tweaks of settings in the raw converter will make huge changes in results. Or a different raw converter, like rawtherapee will make huge improvements in results.

And the noise is not representative of the noise in a night sky image, which is dominated noise from the sky.

The only real issue between camera bodies are which ones have banding issues at the ISO used for night sky photography, and dpreview does not show banding. (The ancient generation 5DII has banding issues.)

No one should be doing night sky photography at iso 12800.

The differences between cameras in short exposure night sky images as by far more affected by the lens and exposure time (e.g. 20 versus 30 seconds). The differences between modern cameras given the same lens is on the order of less than 1/3 of a stop.

Here are some 100% crops from my Canon 100D and X-T2 of the camera produced jpgs with all the default settings at ISO 6400...

To me the Fuji is far more usable at higher ISOs.

I have always used the noise comparison here at dpreview with any potential camera purchase to gauge its usability for the nightscapes I like to do. It shows me what the market has to offer at the particular moment as far as noise goes and what to avoid.

kiwi2's gear list:kiwi2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T100 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow