RX10 IV: I didn't know what 'sharp' meant until now!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PC1134 Regular Member • Posts: 145
RX10 IV: I didn't know what 'sharp' meant until now!

When I had my first copy of the RX10 IV I took a photo at 600mm f4 inside our holiday home, from the couch to a small Sony media player - about 2.5 yards from the camera. I focused on a small sticker on the front of it and took the shot hand held. It was a pretty poor result. The shot below is the best I could achieve on the day, and you can see the halo/ghosting effect and if you zoom in the lack of clarity and sharpness on the text.

Best result from first copy of RX10 IV

On the replacement copy of this camera, I zoomed to 600mm f4 and it was so sharp and clear. But then I activated the Clear View zoom at max and the result was still tack sharp. Then, going beyond wisdom I switched on digital zoom and took that to maximum and while noise was then clearly evident, the images was still very sharp. That is so impressive!

At 35mm zoom equiv

At 135mm zoom equiv

At 600mm zoom equiv (optical) - compare this with the first image (from my first copy of this camera)

Adding Clear View Zoom at maximum zoom in. Still pretty impressive.

This is maximum on digital zoom and yes you can see noise, but this is better than good!

This shot taken 40 yards away at 600mm equiv optical zoom - low light - handheld.

This shot on max digital zoom - a setting which should yield dreadful results. While exhibiting slight camera shake close up and some digital noise - it is not fantastic, but handheld in low light from 40 yards, this result is outstanding.

I know these are boring shots, and I promise from now on to take some creative ones, but seriously, I have NEVER experienced such a sharp lens and amazing zoom capability on any other camera before (and I particularly include the first copy I received of my RX10 IV!!!). Just so impressed and glad I persevered as it has definitely been worth it.

Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow