Canon got it (almost) right wth the G1X mk3. Come on Nikon!

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 6,176
Re: Canon got it (almost) right wth the G1X mk3. Come on Nikon!

André BARELIER wrote:

Some fellows here are wondering if there will be a P7800 successor.

For me, it's here: it's the Canon G1X mk 3.

I'm not joking. I think this camera is the perfect tool for travel photography (which is what I mainly do).

Yes, it has some limitations: limited range, slow lens at the long end, short battery life. But it's the first camera that can replace a DSLR, with same image quality, when size and weight are a concern, like when travelling.

Here are 2 comparisons of the cameras (and lenses) I own and use when travelling, vs the Canon:

http://j.mp/2ibcl4p

http://j.mp/2i9ri70

Yes, we know nothing about the lens quality of the Canon. But if it's good (and I suppose it will be), this camera will give superb results in a lot of shooting situations.

Canon knows that, and that's probably why the G1X mk3 is so expensive.

Way too expensive, if you ask me. No way I would spend 1200 EUR to buy it.

That's where Nikon should come into play: they have always made high end compacts of very high quality. It's time to make an APS-C one, with same or better specifications than the Canon (faster lens, longer battery life), but at a more affordable price.

I hope that camera is being made. I'm waiting for it. If it doesn't come, I'll go for the Canon, when prices go down a bit.

Just my opinion, as usual. What is yours?

-- hide signature --

A little short on reach, but an APS- C 24MP sensor and the dual pixel auto focus system, along with a fully articulated touch screen and an OLED 2.36 million-dot electronic viewfinder, in such a small size. Nikon better hurry!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 450D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow