Escaping from Lightroom

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lino59
Lino59 Regular Member • Posts: 126
Escaping from Lightroom

I'm using Lightroom standalone (version 5 because here in Italy the 6 was never sold) from 3 years, and I find it is perfect for my needs.

Because some minor issues, like the missing of map visualization in Map module, I was wondering if upgrade to the subscription model, even if it will cost each year almost the double I paid on one shot when I bought the version 5 license.

Now, after the recent moves in Adobe strategy for the product, I was wondering if there is any product I can consider as an alternative to Lightroom, but I realized the images management approach of Lightroom is not "portable" to any other product, as from my knowledge.

When I talk about images management approach, I am referring to the ability of leaving the raw files untouched and writing all the modifications in the xmp sidecar files. I shot always in raw, also with my smartphone, because I like to play with the image parameters using all the capabilities offered by the sensor, with the possibility of coming back to the original image in any moment.

I wasn't able to find any image management software using the same approach, and it means that I won't be ever able to escape from Lightroom, no matter if using standalone or subscription model.

Do you believe this sad conclusion is the right one?

Really, if I want to keep the same capabilities, do I need to stay forever on Lightroom?

Thank you for any comment or suggestion which may improve my knowledge about the matter and what is on the market.

-- hide signature --
 Lino59's gear list:Lino59's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow