Foveon sensors are the best

Started 11 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FW Birds New Member • Posts: 10
Foveon sensors are the best

This camera is very interesting. It doesn’t shoot video, the battery life is relatively short (which is why 2 are provided), autofocus is average, there is no image stabilization, the Sigma software takes a little time to process, and you should probably shoot at the base ISO of 100, and certainly not over 400 unless you are doing monochrome. Those are the negatives. And the truth is they really don’t matter because once you see the RAW images produced by the camera’s Foveon sensor, especially on a high resolution monitor, your jaw will hit the floor. Under the right conditions - good light and stable subject - this camera produces images that meet or exceed any I’ve seen from any camera regardless of size or cost. Some people even claim that the Sigma dp2 Quattro rivals medium format quality. I think they’re correct. The level of detail and color fidelity from this camera is astonishing and reminds me of beautiful old Kodachrome slide film. I usually shoot in Low Res mode. The Sigma dp2 Quattro won’t be for everyone because of its limitations. But if you use it for its strengths it is without peer. In my opinion it’s a bargain at its price. Highly recommended!

Sunset

Clouds at sunrise

Boats at sunrise

Heading out to fish

Getting ready to fish

Fighting fish

Yellowfin Tuna

Dorado

FW Birds's gear list:FW Birds's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro
Sigma dp2 Quattro
20 megapixels • 3 screen • 45 mm
Announced: Feb 13, 2014
FW Birds's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
acceptable
Action / sports
bad
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
awful
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Sigma dp2 Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow