Choosing among the Induro CLT202/303 tripods for hike-friendly, wildlife and landscape shots?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bharathmsk Forum Member • Posts: 89
Choosing among the Induro CLT202/303 tripods for hike-friendly, wildlife and landscape shots?

Dear All,

This is closely to my previous post here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4225078#forum-post-60384441

(Truly unfortunate that there is not a way to move a thread across forums. Perhaps, there is a good reason for this. First, I had posted in the System Buying advice forum, and then given my equipment figured the 6D forum was better, and then I found out all the super useful active tripod talk in this forum. Wish I had to come to this directly, at first. So truly sorry for almost triple posting. From now on, I know where to post. I made sure I link all these, so that people can follow across. )

I am looking to invest in a tripod and a tripod head. I generally find myself shooting both landscapes and wildlife depending on the trips we make (national parks/wildlife refuges). This means I also hike a bit (a max. of 5 miles).

Currently, a Canon 6D + 24-105 tends to generally be my landscape combination and a Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary for wildlife. I can see myself replacing the Sigma for a Canon 100-400 with a 1.4X/2X teleconverter in the future. After some poking around the dpreview forums and some blogs, I am thinking if an Induro CLT303 & a BHD2 head would serve my purpose (I am 5'8'). On the other hand, I am not sure if the weight of this combination might be too much for hiking. So I am also looking at the CLT203, but I am worried about the stability loss when doing wildlife with the Sigma/Canon, compared to the 303.

The CLT303 is listed at 4.3lbs (the CLT303L which is longer is at 4.6lbs). CLT203 is at 3.5lbs. The BHD2 ball is at 1.32lbs.

I was wondering if you have any advice on on this setup, or whether you think there is other gear I can look into with similar quality for a better/competitive price. I did come across the Sirui K20X (0.88lbs)/ 30X (1.5lbs) ball heads, but I am not sure how well they compare to the BHD2. Following Colin's recommendation in the 6D forum, I am closely looking at the Sirui N-series tripods.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

bharathmsk's gear list:bharathmsk's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM +1 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow