Choosing among the Induro CLT202/303 tripods for hike-friendly, wildlife and landscape shots?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bharathmsk New Member • Posts: 17
Choosing among the Induro CLT202/303 tripods for hike-friendly, wildlife and landscape shots?

Dear All,

This is closely to my previous post here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4225078#forum-post-60384441

(Truly unfortunate that there is not a way to move a thread across forums. Perhaps, there is a good reason for this. First, I had posted in the System Buying advice forum, and then given my equipment figured the 6D forum was better, and then I found out all the super useful active tripod talk in this forum. Wish I had to come to this directly, at first. So truly sorry for almost triple posting. From now on, I know where to post. I made sure I link all these, so that people can follow across. )

I am looking to invest in a tripod and a tripod head. I generally find myself shooting both landscapes and wildlife depending on the trips we make (national parks/wildlife refuges). This means I also hike a bit (a max. of 5 miles).

Currently, a Canon 6D + 24-105 tends to generally be my landscape combination and a Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary for wildlife. I can see myself replacing the Sigma for a Canon 100-400 with a 1.4X/2X teleconverter in the future. After some poking around the dpreview forums and some blogs, I am thinking if an Induro CLT303 & a BHD2 head would serve my purpose (I am 5'8'). On the other hand, I am not sure if the weight of this combination might be too much for hiking. So I am also looking at the CLT203, but I am worried about the stability loss when doing wildlife with the Sigma/Canon, compared to the 303.

The CLT303 is listed at 4.3lbs (the CLT303L which is longer is at 4.6lbs). CLT203 is at 3.5lbs. The BHD2 ball is at 1.32lbs.

I was wondering if you have any advice on on this setup, or whether you think there is other gear I can look into with similar quality for a better/competitive price. I did come across the Sirui K20X (0.88lbs)/ 30X (1.5lbs) ball heads, but I am not sure how well they compare to the BHD2. Following Colin's recommendation in the 6D forum, I am closely looking at the Sirui N-series tripods.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow