The real and the metaphysical in camera technology

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Senior Member • Posts: 1,871
The real and the metaphysical in camera technology

Some things that are glaringly apparent.  LIke a clear sharp viewfinder that one can actually see out of.  Good color, and good magnification.. Happily such attributes form the basis for professional review in this professional space.  Others are way way elusive as a mystical trip to the waters of the Ganges  I do not  seriously debunk them for those that seek a justification beyond the obvious specs. I( Rolex watches and italian sports cars sell on images that inhabit the mind and loosen the purse).   You own what others deem valuable, and that is not to be snubbed.... Ok, first thing that I find well imponderable is the worn out creamy bokeh and swirly bokey ads for high end lenses. When did this all begin folks. My Zeiss Tessar of 1970 specs said nothing about ability to have sought after out of focus highlights. Was this a gift denied for so long.  One person said he bought the top of the one portrait lens because every--EVERY  photo had a " 3-D pop. "   I do not know what 3-D pop entails unless I wear my Real 3-D glasses..    When Tom Cruise said there is nothing like a Porsche that was demonstrable.  Horsepower,  Suspension, Steering.  So I am left with the imponderables of 1) creamy swirly bokeh. 2)  3-D pop  3)  special colors of ( fill in brand).  Not academic. We make decisions on format and brand.  Do we do this rationally.  Do we value a real world explanation.  Well, I do like to think so.  No offense. Keep the crockery from flying if you are a bokeh bandit.. Aloha nui loa...

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow