Adding white space for printing in LR CC

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
zuikowesty
OP zuikowesty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,622
Re: Easy enough in LR 6 at least

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

I would like to send some photos to an online lab, but add white space to match the aspect ratios they offer, to avoid cropping. Is it possible to do this in LR, or do I need to use PS? My photo is 4:3 ratio, and the print size offered is 12x18, so I need to add 1" of white space on each end. I was hoping for a quick way to do this in LR, but it looks like I'd need to add a custom paper size and use the Print module.

Seems pretty easy in Lightroom, or at least would be in LR 6: choose "Single Image / Contact Sheet" mode, just change "Print to:" from "Printer" to "JPEG file", set "File Resolution" to whatever is the appropriate ppi for the lab, and choose "Custom File Dimensions" and enter 12x18.

Just be aware that you may need to change it from print to printer to print to file before you can make the left and right borders 0.

You're right, this does sound easy, and I will give it a try next time. I missed the print to JPEG option, which was the key, as I thought I would need to choose a custom paper size. For this time, LRMogrify worked well (and it turns out I already had it, but forgot that I did...)

zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus Stylus Tough 3000 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow