Why do you need another crippled Pentax APS-C flagship?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 9,102
Re: Let's stop here, guys

Chris Mak wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

My truth is that we've seen progress; my truth is that I own a D FA 150-450mm - which is not an ancient screw drive lens. My truth is that the PLM is up with the fastest lens motors. My truth is that Pentax just pre-announced a lens equipped with ring-type SDM.

Alex, you are right

Of course I am!

stressing that Pentax is indeed moving ahead with new planned lenses with (finally) decent up to date motors. But on one hand, these are all meant to complement the Pentax FF line,

Most of the FF lenses are very useful on APS-C, too. The long lenses you're talking about? It makes absolutely no sense to make them APS-C.

It wasn't a coincidence that the DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm and DA 560mm are actually FF lenses.

and on the other hand, there is the issue of the slow pace at wich Pentax is moving.

I said several times in the past, I'm not happy with the seemingly slow pace. Yet Greyser is advocating something worse: no pace at all.

By the way, story goes the delay is actually due to the development of the new motor. I can accept that.

Now, if you ask: what is the next (overdue) Apsc flagship meant for, are you going to say: only to use the new fast and large and heavy FF lenses on, like 50/1.4, 85/1.4?

Chris, I own a D FA 150-450mm.

With the introduction of FF, the position of Apsc has changed, and you can look at the others that it's not enough merely to function as a somewhat smaller, lighter and higher mp version of the FF body.

Then, an APS-C flagship is needed. I don't know why you're arguing with me and not with Greyser.

Hence again the question: who and what is the new Apsc flagship meant for.

And the obvious answer: it's meant to complement the K-1, one offering exquisite image quality, the other offering speed.

Your ringtype motor lenses are meant for the FF body.

How so?

Where are the 200, 300, 400 and 500 primes with ringtype motors for the sports, action and wildlife shooter, that are needed to make a flagship body succesfull for more than a handful of Pentaxians?

I told you and I'll repeat: those are arbitrary standards. You can make a case that every Pentax camera should've been postponed/canceled because insert-lens-here is missing, and you'd be wrong.

Even existing lenses - ignoring what will be launched next year - will benefit from a new APSC or FF flagship camera with improved AF. You go forward step by step, not by jumping a few miles until the destination.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mxx
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow